A Pediatric RN Shares Practical Tips for Minimizing Vaccine Risks
A Pediatric RN Shares Practical Tips for Minimizing the Inherent Risks in Vaccines
Maureen McDonnell, BS, RN
“Risks?” you may ask. “I thought the science was conclusive?” I’m sorry to report that this statement is far from the truth. All one has to do is pick up a package insert for any of the 26 vaccines required in the first year of life (52 before the age of 5, & 72 before age 18) and read the multiple pages of potential harm vaccines can cause to know how misleading that all too common, yet blatantly false statement is.
With the recently enacted laws in NY state and California mandating every child (even those who are medically fragile) receive the full list of CDC authorized vaccines, I feel it is my duty as a Pediatric RN for more than 40 years to provide parents with practical tips and ideas on what can be done to minimize the risks associated with vaccines.
Although I am tempted to elaborate on the current injustices involving the vaccine industry’s dominance of the pediatric profession and the unwarranted policies that our government is forcing us to comply with – that collectively have led to the erosion of our children’s health, instead I will share some of the relevant knowledge I have accumulated from my decades as a Pediatric RN, mother, environmentalist, grandmother and adamant protector of children’s health in hopes of helping parents protect their children:
Tips for Minimizing Vaccine Risks:
- Spread them out: I know this is difficult to do within certain states and pediatrician’s offices demanding full compliance – however, when and if at all possible, instead of following the “one size fits all” approach, choose which vaccines to give only after careful consideration of the individual child’s history and or genetic background. For instance if a child was born prematurely or if they have had recurrent ear infections necessitating the use of long term antibiotics, or if the parents have a history of autoimmune disorders or allergies, these are all indicators that a child may not respond well to vaccines and certainly not when several are given at one time. I’d like to say discuss all of this with your pediatrician, but unfortunately in today’s climate, most would not agree with the suggestion to postpone, spread out or avoid vaccines based on a family history or current illness. As a matter of fact, an all too common statement these days is that a child can handle hundreds of vaccines in one day. Honestly, what are these people thinking? And where are the studies proving their theory? They don’t exist! Finding a pediatrician who is at least open to discussing selective vaccination is essential when parents are trying to make the best decisions for their children.
- Load them up with Nutrients before and after: A week, or at least a few days prior to vaccinating, in addition to making sure the child is in good health, provide your child with immune boosting supportive nutrients such as Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Probiotics, Mercury Free Cod Liver Oil (a great source of Vitamin A and D and anti-inflammatory essential fatty acids), Elderberry and if the child is not allergic to ragweed: Echinacea. I gave these to my own children before, and for a week or two after their very limited vaccinations, and they never had a reaction.
- Make sure the child is very healthy and hasn’t recently been on antibiotics. During my nurses training and in my early years as a pediatric nurse, pediatricians NEVER gave vaccines when children were showing signs of illness or were on antibiotics. That practice changed and now regardless of a child’s health status, vaccines are given. Considering the fact that vaccines contain (in addition to live and attenuated viruses and bacteria) a multitude of toxic ingredients that the child’s body has to be strong enough to deal with (including formaldehyde, propylene glycol, Polysorbate 80, Aluminum, aborted fetal tissue etc), the practice of giving vaccines when a child is ill, flies in the face of common sense.4. Avoid Tylenol Although many are aware of the negative effects of giving Tylenol (acetaminophen) post vaccination, some pediatricians continue to recommend it. Tylenol is one of the substances that blocks the formation of glutathione which is a tri-peptide needed for proper detoxification. Since a child needs their detox pathways to be in optimal shape in order to handle the previously mentioned toxic substances, avoiding a medication that interferes with that is a wise choice.
- Ask for the package insert to be certain that the vaccine does not contain Thimerosal (a mercury based preservative which remains in the flu vaccine.) Additionally, you may want to special order a single dose vial if available for the particular vaccine you are considering as multi dose vials are more likely to contain more Thimerosal.6. Speak up and Speak out! Do not be afraid to speak up and ask for information. Parents are responsible for the health and wellbeing of their children. And although at present they are being strong armed and bullied into doing exactly as the vaccine industry, pediatric profession and government dictates, we must continue to do all we can to guard our children. Research the heck out of this subject starting with the excellent website by Robert Kennedy Jr and his team at Children’s Health Defense https://childrenshealthdefense.org/ or the amazing National Vaccine Information Center. https://www.nvic.org/
- Optimal Nutrition: Whether you have the opportunity to vaccinate selectively or somehow you are able to avoid vaccinating, nutrition (actually: “super nutrition” which includes organic fruits and vegetables, lots of pure filtered water, organic sources of protein (chicken, eggs, turkey, meat, nuts), healthy fats, probiotics, a good children’s supplement program etc.) are the keys to keeping kids healthy. Although the AAP and the pharmaceutical industry have tried to convince us that the main way to protect our children from infection is through vaccination, we are all smarter than that! The main ways to keep our children healthy are: by making sure they feel safe, get plenty of parental love and guidance, ensuring they have access to fresh air, exercise, clean water, eat a healthy organic (when possible) diet, take appropriate supplements that include a great children’s multi, probiotics, Vitamin D, fish oil, and periodic use of herbs that give their immune systems an extra boost (like Elderberry and Echinacea).Summary: Do your homework and TRUST YOUR GUT! As parents, we cannot abdicate total responsibility for the health of our children to the CDC or the American Academy of Pediatrics. They have their role, but somewhere along the line, they became the authorities on children’s health and given their less than stellar track record and financial ties to the pharmaceutical and vaccine industry, it’s time we as parents TAKE BACK OUR POWER and learn and practice safer ways to vaccinate.
Although almost every article you read on this subject in the mainstream media claims that all the studies have shown there is absolutely no link between vaccines, autism and other neurological developmental and chronic health conditions, that is simply not true. There is good science pointing to a connection (some studies listed below) and more importantly there are hundreds, if not thousands of parents of sick children who can tell you they had a normal child up until he or she received several vaccines in one day, or he or she was sick and still got their vaccines..
More research needs to be done for certain (especially examining the differences in health outcomes between vaccinated and unvaccinated populations, which to date government agencies have refused to do). But these accounts by intelligent, observant parents cannot be discounted, and to me are equally, if not more relevant in helping us prevent further damage to our children than entrusting our children’s health to an industry who has paid billions in law suits and has caused the current opioid crisis.
“There are unanswered questions about vaccine safety. We need studies on vaccinated populations based on various schedules and doses as well as individual patient susceptibilities that we are continuing to learn about. No one should be threatened by the pursuit of this knowledge. Vaccine policy should be the subject of frank and open debate, with no tolerance for bullying. There are no sides—only people concerned for the well-being of our children.” Bernadine Healy, M.D., former director, National Institutes of Health (NIH),
Maureen H. McDonnell, RN
Articles of Interest regarding Inherent Risks in Vaccines
Aluminum hydroxide injections lead to motor deficits and motor neuron degeneration Christopher A. Shaw et all Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 2009
Autism: A brain disorder or a disorder of the brain. Herbert, M Clin Neuropsychiatry 2005;2(6) 354-379
Hepatitis B triple series vaccine and developmental disability in US children aged 1-9 years Gallagher C, Goodman eta all Toxicology Environ Chem 2008 90(5) 997-1008
Early thimerosal exposure and neuropsychological outcomes at 7 to 10 years.Thompson WW, Price C, Goodson B, et al. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(13):1281-1292.
Detection of measles virus genomic RNA in cerebrospinal fl uid of children with regressive autism: a report of three cases.Bradstreet JJ, El Dahr J, Anthony A, Kartzinel JJ, Wakefi eld AJ. J Am Phys Surgeons. 2004;9(2):38-45.
Chronic low-level mercury exposure, BDNF polymorphism, and associations with cognitive and motor function.Echeverria D, Woods JS, Heyer NJ, et al. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2005;27(6):781-796
Endoscopic and Histological Characteristics of the Digestive Mucosa in Autistic Children with gastro-Intestinal Symptoms. Gonzalez L, et al. ArchVenez Pueric Pediatr, 2005;69:19-25.
Detection and sequencing of measles virus from peripheral mononuclear cells from patients with inflammatory bowel disease and autism. Kawashima H, Mori et al Dig Dis Sci. 2000;45(4):723-729.
Similarities in features of autism and asthma and a possible link to Acetaminophen use. Becker KG, Schultz, Med Hypothesis . 2010 Jan:74(1):7-11.
Risk of autistic disorder in affected offspring of mothers with a glutathione S-transferase P1 haplotype.TA, Mars AE, Buyske SG, et al. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med.
Mercury, Lead, and Zinc in Baby Teeth of Children with Autism Versus Controls, Adams, James
Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 70: 1046–1051,