Saving Our Kids, Healing Our Planet is the brainchild of a pediatric, holistic RN -Maureen McDonnell and Jill Urwick a dedicated and determined mom of a child with autism.
Saving Our Kids, Healing Our Planet (SOKHOP) is at the forefront of a new movement focused on sustainable living practices and safe and effective methods for preventing and recovering our children from ADHD, Autism, Allergies, Asthma, Obesity, Diabetes etc. It is a forum where parents, teachers, therapists and physicians become informed regarding safe and effective strategies for preventing and treating many of the chronic conditions affecting our kids today.
Why in the midst of an abundance of research substantiating the use of nutrients, the role toxins play in these conditions and the importance of dietary changes to prevent and treat various conditions , does the pharmaceutical approach remain the most common (and sometimes the only) treatment option parents are given? Pharmaceuticals alone are not the solution to the growing health and behavioral conditions affecting our children. SOKHOP provides information on the role non sustainable practices, nutrition and the environment play and offers real solutions for these growing problems.
Take a look at these statistics:
- In the last 30 years, there has been a 300% increase in asthma. And 6.7 million or 1 in 10 children presently have a diagnosis of asthma.6
- 7.3 million children have allergies Food allergies affect one in every 13 children.7
- Obesity rates in children have tripled since 1980 and now 17% of our kids are either very overweight or obese.8
- The CDC reports that 1 in 6 children have either a neurological, developmental or behavioral disorder.9
- 1 in 6 children in public school now receive special education
- Our academic achievement is lagging with US scores on reading, science and math dropping during the last 15 years to near the bottom of the OECD nations (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development).10
- ADHD is the most common neurodevelopmental disorder and affects one in 10 children.11
- 1 in 7 school aged children receive antipsychotic medication.12
- We have the highest rate of diagnosed mental illnesses (Walton 2011) and the highest incarceration rate in the world.13
- The Autism rate was 1 in 5000 30 years ago and now according to the CDC it is one in 68.14
- Epilepsy/seizures affect one in 20 children.15,16
- During this same 30 year time period, the US became the most heavily vaccinated country in the world. The number of immunizations given to our children increased from 11 (administered before the age of 5), to the current number of 36-45 (26 in the first year).17
- Heart disease is the fifth leading cause of death in 1-5 year olds.18
12 million children in the US have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, which is primarily not genetic in origin, but rather is related to diet and lifestyle.19
- Cancer is the leading cause of death in children. More than 15,000 children were diagnosed in 2014. One of the most rapidly increasing rates of cancer is for children under the age of 13.20
- The Infant Mortality rate is one of the most important indicators of the health of a nation, as it is associated with a variety of factors such as maternal health, quality and access to medical care, socioeconomic conditions and public health practices. In 2004 the last year the data are available for all countries, the US ranked 29th in the world in infant mortality, tied with Poland and Slovakia. I have to check, but I think we now rank 34th in the world.21–23
Although startling, these numbers are real! What is the solution? As Albert Einstein said “We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” We must take a step back, identify where we as a society went off track regarding the health of our kids and begin to put wisdom back into our lives.
Martha Herbert, MD, PhD, a pediatric neurologist and faculty member at Harvard Medical school states: “In the last several generations, our technology has been ahead of our science. We have filled the world with new-to-nature substances and we have massively altered our food supply without measuring the health & ecological consequences. Now it’s time to wake up, take responsibility for our dangerous situation, and put wisdom back into our lives”.